Thursday, February 24, 2011

From The Bottom Of My Heart

As of late,
God has been showing me my heart, in the light of His Glory, on the issue of motives.

Proverbs 16:2  All a man's ways seem innocent to him, but motives are weighed by the LORD.

Serving is a part of the christian life that I was taught to value. Whether it be cleaning toliets in the meeting room here in Hungary, participating in leading praise and worship at church, or bringing coffee to a friend who is having a stressful day..service is important. But as I have been reading some books lately (Pursuit of Holiness and Lady in Waiting) God has shown me some issues in my motivation for serving.

I have always known that I am selfish, sometimes I even chalk it up to my humanity and justify it because its natural instead of calling it what it is...blatant sin. But I have been noticing how even when I think I am serving someone out of pure motives...I'm not most the time.
Like God's Word says in Proverbs...my ways SEEM innocent but The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is exceedingly corrupt: who can know it? Jeremiah 17:9

My heart is so deceitful, I don't even know the full extent of its wickedness.
When I am serving people, listening to them in times of hurting, going the extra mile in a task or friendship...most times, honestly, its because I see a payoff sometime in the future that will personally benefit me.

That hurts to think about and even more so when I see it in writing! How wicked my heart is...from the bottom of my heart to the top. But how loving and forgiving is our God!!!
Romans 8:37-39
But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.


I am adding something to my list that I pray for on my 6am walks.
"Lord, show me my impure motives today, burden my heart so that I may strive to serve you with pure intentions"
I encourage you to join me in this prayer each day, and have God search out your heart every morning before you begin the ministry which is your life.


from my heart to yours...

No comments:

Post a Comment